Richmond Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Motorcycle crash injuries can be extremely serious and lead to extensive damages for victims. Obtaining compensation may be vital to your future. Help is available—just call a Richmond motorcycle collision attorney with the Halperin Law Center.
Many people, including insurance adjusters, try to blame motorcyclists for their accidents because they believe that riding a motorcycle is reckless. The truth is that riding a motorcycle isn’t all that dangerous on its own—it’s the dangerous drivers out there who make things risky for you. Don’t let insurers treat you as though you don’t deserve compensation for an accident someone else caused. You have every right to seek compensation when someone else caused your losses, but you don’t have to fight this battle on your own. Get help filing a motorcycle crash claim by calling a Richmond motorcycle accident lawyer.
What Are Some Common Causes of Motorcycle Crashes in Richmond?
If it were just you and the road, you probably wouldn’t have been injured, but there are so many dangers out there that you just can’t anticipate. Any number of parties could have caused the crash that led to your injuries, and the first step in getting compensated is to figure out what exactly caused your Richmond motorcycle wreck. Investigating your accident will be necessary to determine what contributed to the crash and who is liable for your injuries and related damages. So, what are some of the common causes of motorcycle collisions? See below for a few examples of what might have caused your motorcycle wreck and who might be responsible for your damages in each case:
- Drunk Drivers – Driving while intoxicated is ridiculously dangerous, and a drunk driver who injured you will likely face criminal charges in addition to the repercussions he or she will face in civil court. Filing a claim against a drunk driver can give you a sense of justice—you’ll know that you’re protecting others from being injured by holding a drunk driver accountable.
- Dangerous Roadways – Gravel on the road, too-steep shoulder embankments, poorly marked roads, and missing guardrails are just a few examples of dangerous road conditions. The government is responsible for road maintenance, and if any of these conditions caused your crash, you can hold the liable road authority accountable in an injury claim.
- Distracted Driving – Unfortunately, distracted drivers are injuring more people than ever before, and it’s mostly due to cell phone use. Phones are extremely dangerous distractions. If a distracted driver injured you, you can hold that person accountable by filing a motorcycle injury claim.
- Parts Defects – Sometimes, it’s the things you don’t even think of that will cause a motorcycle crash. Parts can be defective and cause malfunctions, leading to collisions. If that’s what happened in your case, you can hold a negligent manufacturer financially accountable for your injuries and damages.
- Poor Repairs – Mechanics sometimes make mistakes, and if one made a negligent mistake while repairing your motorcycle, you can seek compensation for your resulting damages. You may be able to hold the mechanic and his or her employer responsible for your injuries if their negligence caused your accident.
Negligence Laws in Virginia
What is negligence? Negligence is a legal principle that asserts that people who have injured someone can be held responsible for the damages they have caused. This means they will have to pay for the losses the victim faced—or at least their insurance company will. It’s because of negligence laws that you can file a claim against the party who hurt you on your motorcycle in Richmond. The flipside to this law, however, is that you won’t be able to seek compensation if you contributed in some way to your crash. There is another law called the statute of limitations. It’s the time limit on how long you have to file your case. In Virginia, you generally have only two years from the date of your accident to file an injury claim seeking damages.
Injuries Often Tied to Richmond Motorcycle Wrecks
The value of your Richmond motorcycle crash claim will depend a great deal on the extent of your injuries. The more serious your injuries are, the more compensation you’ll likely be entitled to. For instance, if you suffer from multiple bone fractures, you may be looking at expensive surgeries, a lengthy hospital stay, and an extended loss of income. You will need to be compensated for all of those damages. Some injuries that are common in motorcycle crash cases and will result in a great deal of damages include the following:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Broken bones
- Severe burns
- Organ damage
- Internal bleeding
- Spinal injuries
- Neck and shoulder damage
Unfortunately, death is an all-too-common result of motorcycle accidents. If a negligent driver hit and killed your loved one on his or her motorcycle, you can file a wrongful death claim with the help of a qualified attorney from our firm.
Insurance Companies Often Blame Motorcyclists
To receive a settlement for all of your injuries and suffering, you will usually submit your claim with the liable party’s insurer. It is the insurance company that will likely be paying on your claim. While insurance companies are required by law to approve legitimate claims (that is, after all, what insurance is for), they can deny claims that aren’t considered valid. You can bet that they will try to prove that your claim is in some way invalid or that your injuries aren’t as serious as you’re making them out to be. Additionally, insurers will try to reduce a claim’s value if a denial is impossible. They will try one of several tactics:
- Offer you a fast and usually very low settlement, knowing that you need money as soon as possible to pay your bills
- Attempt to place blame at your feet because they know they can escape their obligation to compensate you if you’re found to be at fault
- Try to bully you into accepting a settlement that is far less than what your claim is truly worth by threatening to take your claim to court
The good news? Your motorcycle accident lawyer in Richmond will see these tactics coming from miles away and know how to fight back and win.
Getting the Compensation You Need for Your Motorcycle Injuries
Monetary and non-monetary losses abound after a serious motorcycle crash. You will probably be looking at extensive medical bills, lost wages, physical therapy, and mental trauma caused by your accident. You didn’t cause the crash that injured you, so you shouldn’t have to foot the bill. Your top-rated Richmond motorcycle crash lawyer’s job is to ensure that you obtain compensation for all of the damages you’ve suffered, including monetary losses and the effects this crash has had on your daily life. Here’s a look at a few damages motorcycle injury claimants often seek compensation for in their claims:
- Pain and suffering
- All crash-related medical care
- Loss of wages and permanent disability
- Mental trauma
- Mental health services
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Scarring and disfigurement
Speak with a Richmond Motorcycle Wreck Attorney Today
Motorcycle crash injuries can change your life, and when you didn’t cause the accident that injured you, you deserve compensation. Filing an injury claim isn’t an easy process, and it’s imperative that you receive full compensation to pay for your medical bills and other losses. Don’t try handling all of this on your own—especially in your injured state. Contact a Richmond motorcycle accident lawyer to secure experienced legal representation for your motorcycle injury case. Tell us about your case during a free claim assessment. Complete the form at the bottom of this page, or reach out to the Halperin Law Center by giving us a call at 804-527-0100.