What Are the Main Causes of a Pedestrian Accident?
Pedestrian accidents involve the injury or death of an individual on foot upon being struck by a car, bus, truck, or other motor vehicle. Because of the difference in force, weight, and velocity between a person and a vehicle at the impact site, the consequences of these accidents can be life-changing or life-ending.
When the negligence of another causes you or a loved one’s injuries, filing a pedestrian accident claim can help you recover a financial settlement for related losses. Read on to learn more about the main causes of a pedestrian accident and how a Richmond personal injury lawyer can help.
Common Factors in Pedestrian Accidents Nationwide
In addition to this data, the government agency provides some insight into the type of accident that took place. We can use this data to understand more about incidents involving collisions between pedestrians and motor vehicles.
In order from the most to least common, some the factors in pedestrian accidents include:
- Failure to Yield Right of Way – The rules of the road address specific circumstances when one party or another has the right to continue their path before another on the road. For example, in all circumstances of interactions between a pedestrian and a motorist in a legal crossing zone, the pedestrian has the right of way. Sadly, failure to yield the right of way was a factor in nearly half of all pedestrian-accident deaths in a recent survey.
- Improper Crossing – In other circumstances, the pedestrian may not have the expectation to the right of way. Instances involving an improper crossing of a roadway or intersection was the contributing factor in twenty percent of pedestrian-accident deaths in the same year.
- In Roadway Improperly – Related to improper crossing, this designation refers to an instance of a pedestrian improperly finding themselves in the road—either by walking, standing, sitting, or running—at the time of collision.
- Not Visible – Poor visibility on the roadways or due to another circumstance was a factor in nearly fifteen percent of these accidents.
- Under the Influence – Sadly, nearly ten percent pedestrian deaths involved drinking, drugs, or another inebriating substance.
When to Contact an Attorney
As can be appreciated by some of the above causes of pedestrian accidents, the negligence of a driver is often the contributing factor in a pedestrian accident. However, when someone else is responsible for the injuries or death to you or a loved one, it can sometimes be difficult to prove.
Often, insurance companies will try to pin some or all of the blame for the result on the victim in an attempt to avoid paying a full settlement amount to the victim or their surviving next of kin.
A pedestrian accident attorney can help you or your family member fight for the compensation they deserve.
Contact a Pedestrian Accident Attorney Today
Have you or a loved one suffered injuries as the result of a pedestrian accident? Don’t let the insurance company pay you anything less than what you’re really owed for both your economic and non-economic damages.
Call Halperin Law Center at 804-527-0100 or fill out the form below to get started with a free consultation.